Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Deliciously Soft & Pure Whipped Body Lotion

It's been a sick day, so I tried my hand at a different kind of recipe.

I have been doing a lot of research lately on body care products and their safety. There are so many things hidden away beneath the silky smooth textures and uplifting scents that are actually very harmful to our bodies and to our futures. Our skin is our largest organ, and the most absorbent. Anything we put onto our skin is going to absorb into our blood stream. I don't know about you, but the more I learn about the ingredients I can't pronounce, the further I want them away from me.

I have sensitive skin, so I have found that I must buy more expensive skincare products so that I do not break out or get incredibly itchy. I have been spending way too much money, I think. I wonder how much I really spend each year on that kind of stuff, full of chemicals? What kind of damage am I doing to my body, and how are all those chemicals going to affect me in the future, or even my future children (God willing I have children).

The Environmental Working Group (EWG)  put together a website and a searchable database that has reviewed and tested thousands of beauty products and then published their findings. I suggest an experiment. Take the top three body care products you use (lotions, shampoos/conditioners, styling products), and look them up on their website (click here). See how they really "care" for your body.

I decided to try my hand at homemade lotion, and I was actually very happy with it! It has all the major pushes of store bought lotions, in that it is soft & luxurious and leaves skin feeling fresh and smooth. But it has no chemical preservatives, fragrances, and color additives. This whipped lotion is made with pure oils and essential oil fragrances.

Coconut oil is one of the most pure and moisture-rich oils out there. If you're a curly girl like me, your hair is extra thirsty and needs some moisture-care. You can massage coconut oil into your clean curls and scalp as an extra moisture barrier. Let it sit for about an hour, covered with a shower cap and warm towel, then gently wash and rinse.

Vitamin E is another great moisturizer, and along with Coconut Oil, it is an antioxidant. These two combined oils will help keep your skin moisturized and healthy!

I think vanilla and lavender essential oils are such a rich smell in whipped lotion, but if you want more of an uplifting scent you can try sweet orange!

I made this last night and my skin is still amazingly soft and smooth, and smells great! A little goes a long way when it comes to oils on your skin, so this recipe will last you quite a while. It can get greasy if you use too much, also. So start with a small amount and rub it around. The coconut oil melts instantly when it touches your skin, so smooth it around quickly!

Make this today, and enjoy! You can even use it in your hair if it is dying of thirst!

  • 1 C. Coconut Oil (look for the Gold Label kind, it retains some of the delicious scent!)
  • 1 tsp Vitamin E Oil
  • Essential Oils for chemical-free fragrance
    • You could also use Pure Vanilla Extract if you don't have essential oil
Using a hand mixer, whip all ingredients together for about 7 minutes until it looks like a delicious whipped cream frosting! I store mine in a mason jar, and am working on creating a fun vintage-esque label for it. There is no water in this mixture, so it won't mold, and can be stored for as long as your coconut oil container says.



Go forth and be soft! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment