Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Minty Minerals Toothpaste: Updated Recipe

"I love your toothpaste! You really came up with a great product! I WAS AMAZED at how it cleaned my teeth! I have never had that good of a feeling out of a toothpaste. And the ingredients are natural... that is the best!" 
-A lady I work with who I asked to sample my toothpaste


First, I will say that I did not come up with the basic thought of this recipe, but found it on a website for holistic dental hygiene. However, I DID change almost all the amounts of ingredients and got rid of some. So this is my modified version.

Have you ever heard of re-mineralization? There is a lot of information about tooth re-mineralization coming out lately. You might have seen some of those commercials with "dentists" telling you that once enamel is gone, it is never coming back. However, it does! >>THIS WEBSITE<< has a lot of information about it. This toothpaste not only makes your teeth clean and white, it will also speed up the re-mineralization process.

I have only used this toothpaste for two days now and already my teeth are slightly whiter. My mom even commented on it. My teeth feel so clean and my gums feel great, too! Personally, I have always hated the texture of normal toothpaste. Strange, I know, but texture is kind of a big deal with me when it comes to foods and obviously toothpaste. So the thought of a grainier toothpaste over the strangely-thick-sticky-mess-in-a-tube-GAG toothpaste was actually exciting to me. This new paste is definitely a different taste also, and doesn't really foam like store-bought pastes. The graininess is due to several of the ingredients, but it is still very easy on the teeth. Plus, all the benefits gained are worth a little graininess twice a day.

I have listed the ingredients below and their benefits to dental hygiene. I will also list the recipe at the bottom of the page. You might also want to read some of the information I posted on a previous recipe for toothpaste. There is a quick overview of how horrible fluoride and glycerin are for your teeth. When you read about that you can truly appreciate the benefits of the following ingredients in this homemade toothpaste.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Coconut Oil
-Coconut oil provides super moisture for your gums. Scientists have also found that it can help fight the main bug behind tooth decay. They tested coconut oil against Streptococcus mutants - a sugar-loving bacterium that clings to teeth and produces acid, causing them to rot. Coconut oil is a great active ingredient for toothpaste. 

Baking Soda
-A natural ingredient to clean and whiten teeth fast. It neutralizes substances that cause stains and odors. Baking soda penetrates into the crevices of the teeth, and is gently abrasive on your enamel. 

Calcium Magnesium & Zinc Powder
-Without the presence of fluoride and glycerin, the teeth can heal themselves and re-grow enamel. Calcium magnesium and zinc are essential minerals for strong teeth and bones. This powder will heal re-mineralize your teeth and they will operate like they were supposed to. 

Xylitol
-A natural sweetener and a sugar alcohol, in that it is similar to fructose but only absorbs 40% into your body. You get the sweet taste with less than half the calories. Xylitol also cuts through bio-film, which coats teeth and cavities and acts as a hiding place for bacteria. It also cuts through odor and prevents cavities. 

Redmond Sea Salt
-A natural sea salt mined from ancient sea beds and contains 50+ trace minerals including iodine. It is antibacterial and aids in the re-mineralization process.

Ppeppermint Essential Oil
-Fights bad breath and soothes sore gums and toothaches. I am also thinking of adding Tea Tree Essential Oil to my next batch, as it is antimicrobial and antibacterial as well. It is most often used in homemade deodorants and the like. *** I did try the Tea Tree the second time around; just make sure you do more peppermint than tea tree when you mix them in. Tea Tree is a minty taste as well, but it kind of leaves a strange aftertaste, unless you have a lot of peppermint.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Now for the recipe! I have listed where you can buy the ingredients, if you are local.

* 3 Tbsp Coconut Oil (Walmart - But I prefer to use the extra virgin kind from Puritans Pride)
* 2 Tbsp Baking Soda
* 2 Tbsp Calcium Magnesium & Zinc Powder (buy them in tablet form and grind- walmart)
* 3 Tbsp Xylitol (Back to Nature)
* 2 tsp Redmond Sea Salt (Back to Nature)
* 20 drops Peppermint Essential Oil (GNC)

You will need to grind up the calcium tablets with a mortar and pestle or food processor. Then simply mash everything together in a bowl. You can add more or less of the coconut oil to get the desired consistency. I liked it with 3 Tbsp as oppose to 2 Tbsp.

***UPDATE: About 10 tablets will make 1 tablespoon of powder. I noticed that grinding 5 calcium/mag tablets at a time worked best for me. ALSO, the tablets have a very thin casing that does not grind up. I used a sifter to separate the powder from the casings. If you leave them in, it shouldn't harm you, but it will be more grainy and have a funky texture. I prefer to sift! After sifting once, I grind it a second time; there were some ball-like pieces of the tablets leftover. A second grinding will powder them easily, then just sift the casings out and toss them.



I encourage you to try this for yourself! Several people have asked me to make this for them, so if you are local, I am willing to make and sell you some as well!

Enjoy & God bless!



No comments:

Post a Comment