Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Best Things Take Time... like Turkey!

The holidays are so busy, as we all know, and it seems there is never time to get together with everyone you want to. So after all the actual holiday days were over, some of us were able to get together and just spend an evening together.

We had decided we wanted the traditional Christmas dinner, but all made in a healthy fashion since new years resolutions had already been made and started. I love a culinary challenge! I set out to create the menu and it went something like this:


*Sweet & Sassy Slow-Cooked Turkey & Gravy
(what this post is all about)
*Apple Walnut Stuffing
(the best stuffing ever)
*Orange-Glazed Sliced Carrots
(not bad, but not amazing)
*Herb Roasted Potatoes
(taters are always delish)

I must admit, I didn't eat all of my sides because I got full off of all the amazing turkey! If you have never cooked a turkey in a crock-pot, you have GOT to try this recipe! I couldn't decide between the traditional herbed turkey recipe, the spicy turkey recipe, and the sweet apple spiced turkey recipe, so I kind of combined all three and came up with this. I think this will be the all-time favorite turkey recipe from now on. Definitely!

If you try this, do not be concerned with how it smells the entire time it's cooking. The smell is very deceiving. I was afraid we were going to end up eating potatoes and carrots for dinner, but as soon as I tried it, I was blown away with surprise!

As an added bonus, the leftovers are PERFECT for the >>Leftover Turkey Rice Soup Recipe<<.

The Recipe
  1. 4 C. Apple Juice
  2. 1/4 C. Kosher Salt
  3. 1/3 C. Raw Honey
  4. 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
  5. 1 Tbsp Ground Mustard
  6. 1 tsp Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
  7. 1 1/2 tsp Dried Rosemary
  8. 1 tsp Black Pepper
  9. 3-5 lb Turkey Breast, unflavored

It is generally best to brine the turkey overnight, but I completely forgot until that morning, so mine only brined for about 3-4 hours. When poultry is brined, the impurities and blood are pulled out of the meat; it also helps keep moisture in. To brine, you just mix equal parts of salt and sugar with enough warm water to cover the meat. Make sure the salt and sugar dissolve in the warm water first. Keep the bowl and turkey refrigerated overnight as it brines.Then just discard the brine when you are ready to cook; I gave my turkey a quick rinse just to remove any lingering impurities.

You can go ahead and place your rinsed turkey in the crock pot as you make the marinade. Do not turn the crock pot on yet! By the way, my crock pot was the medium sized kind- I honestly don't know how many quarts it held. It worked best for the small turkey breast. You want the meat completely covered in liquid as it cooks.

To make the cooking marinade, bring all the ingredients to a boil in a saucepan. Cook and stir until the salt and honey are dissolved. Like I said before, don't be afraid at the smell; it was very unappetizing to me, but it is definitely worth it! I don't know how it happens, but that little crock pot works some magic! Make sure you keep it covered as much as possible!

I gathered the garlic together on top of the turkey breast for the first hour or so.

Simply pour the cooking marinade over the turkey in the crock pot. There needs to be enough liquid that the turkey is completely covered, so if you are a little short, just cook up a bit more marinade and add it in.

Cook on HIGH for about 2-3 hours, then on low for an hour. I turned it down to low when the glass lid started jostling around due to steam from the boiling marinade. Or, you can cook for about 6 hours on low, depending on how much time you have.

The turkey will be "done" much sooner, but you want it to be so soft it falls apart when you pick it up with a fork. And trust me, if you can wait that long, you will never cook turkey the same way again!

Here is the whole meal. Yum!!

GRAVY TIME! Once the turkey is done, spoon out about 1 C. of the cooking marinade and bring it to a boil in a small saucepan. Mix about 1tsp corn starch with 1Tbsp of water in a cup, then pour it into the boiling marinade. Continue adding corn starch and water until the gravy gets to the consistency you want. Allow it to simmer together a few minutes before you add any more.

The gravy will turn out fairly spicy, due to the red pepper flakes, so go easy if you're not a fan of spicy stuff.

Enjoy & God bless!!!
Let me know how it goes if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment