Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sweet & Simple Homemade Hairspray

Yes, indeedy! Homemade hairspray is a staple in most women's morning hair routine. I was one of those women who emptied a can of hairspray in two weeks, and it was the highest powered stuff I could find! So you can imagine how skeptical I was when I first heard about homemade hairspray. I never thought it would work. My lungs, however, were really hoping for a break from the daily ritual of chemical build-up.

I first tried this several weeks ago, and it was the perfect compliment to my >Organic Hair Gel,< which I absolutely LOVE, by the way. This hairspray REALLY works, ladies & gents! It holds all day, but it also leaves your hair feeling soft, not crunchy. It's so simple you can make it at home RIGHT NOW, because I'm sure that you all have the ingredients handy.

An added bonus to this is that the sugar actually makes your hair shinier! We could all handle a little more shine in our tresses!

In case you're wondering about bugs, I haven't tried this in the summer yet, but I have done a little researching. Some people say it attracts bugs, some say they've never had problems with it. HOWEVER, if you add some peppermint essential oil, it will actually repel bugs! They are not fond of the peppermint scent, apparently.

Try it tonight! And be sure to follow the fool-proof rules that go with it!

1 C. Water
4 tsp. Sugar
4 Tbsp. Rubbing Alcohol (optional, but acts as a preservative)
Vitamin E Oil (natural preservative)
Essential Oil for scents (peppermint repels bugs)

Can I just say that I LOVE making my own hair products? I can coordinate the gel and hairspray with the same scent, so my hair smells just fantastic! 

Heat the water just until it starts to boil, then turn it off. Stir the sugar in until it melts. Let it cool a little before you put the rubbing alcohol or vitamin E and essential oils in. Bottle and use!

A note on the preservatives. Rubbing alcohol is the most popular in recipes I've seen, but I actually prefer the vitamin E. Vitamin E is natural and it is a moisturizer, which is great for your hair! The rubbing alcohol kind of stinks, and it can dry your hair out. However, even with the alcohol, it's a lot better for your hair than store-bought hairspray. You might try both ways and see what you like best. I keep mine (with vitamin E) in the refrigerator, and it lasted me about two weeks. Just keep smelling it; you'll notice when it goes rancid!

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Fool-Proof Rules:

Depending on your hair type, you might need more or less sugar. More sugar will have a firmer hold. But remember, I used a TON of extra hold hairspray, and I only needed two sprays of this to cover my head & hold all day! This concentration of sugar water is perfect for me.

Find a spray bottle with a super fine mist. I actually use a little plastic bottle from the travel-size toiletries at Walmart.

Wait 20-30 seconds for the spray to dry. I didn't do this the first time, which is why I used too much! I only need about 2 to 3 sprays and it's perfect.

Stick with these rules and you should have some great hairspray!

I have another recipe that does not use sugar. I have not bought the ingredients for that yet, but I will let you know when I try it out! So far, I love this sugar recipe, so I'll be sticking with it for a while!

Let me know how it goes for you!

1 comment:

  1. I am all about all natural products and this hairspray sounds awesome!!

    ReplyDelete